Studia w Niemczech; where to study in Germany

Study in Germany

Where to study in Germany?

Germany is a European economic powerhouse and has an excellent reputation for offering high-quality university courses, which reflect the needs of research and industry alike. 

Where to study in Germany? The country is well-connected to the rest of Europe in terms of transport and offers visitors unrivalled scenery, from  rivers, forests and mountains to the beaches of the North Sea.

If you have more urban tastes, you will enjoy the vibrant, cutting edge galleries, nightlife and glamour of Berlin and Munich’s amazing Oktoberfest. Two thousand years of history have left their mark on the country’s medieval cobbled streets, cathedrals and  architectural gems.

Palaces and castles perch high on hilltops, while half-timbered buildings nestle between suspended monorails, combining past and present, and the Danube continues its long journey from the Black Forest mountains in the west down to the Delta, as it has for millennia. Germany truly has it all.

The German higher education system – how does it work ?

German universities can be divided into public and private universities. Some 90 per cent of all universities in the country are public institutions and do not charge EU students tuition fees.

Nevertheless, you will be asked to pay a small administration fee each term when you register for your course, which averages out at around 250 euros. Universities set their own admin fees , and you will be able to consult  individual websites to get an up to date figure.

Where to study in Germany in English?

Of the 120 bachelor’s programmes taught in English, 60 charge no tuition fees. The others are offered by private universities  which charge between 7-20,000 euros a year.

For example, Jacobs University in Bremen  offers an English-taught bachelor’s degree in  mathematics for 20,000 euros a year, while the Berlin International University of Applied Sciences runs courses in business administration, architecture, interior design and graphic design and communication, with tuition fees coming in at 7,200 euros a year.

In contrast, Rhine-Waal , a public university of Applied Sciences, only charges the semester fee – in this case 300 euros – and has courses taught in English in International Relations and Sustainable Tourism. Note, too, that some administration fees include  a free pass on public transport – which is extremely useful.

Which are the best public universities in Germany?

  • Technical University of Munich. 
  • Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. 
  • Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg. 
  • Humboldt University of Berlin. 
  • KIT, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. 
  • Free University of Berlin. 
  • RWTH Aachen University.
  • Berlin Institute of Technology.
  • Business
  • Engineering
  • English/American Studies 

What courses are taught in English? The short answer is – 120 of them! These include:

  •  Social Sciences
  • Advertising
  • Digital Business
  •  Product design
  • Aviation Management
  • Gaming and Animation
  • Applied mathematics
  • Economics,Politics and Social Thought etc.

Remember, do not assume that these courses are available at public universities, until you have checked. See below for more details.

How do I apply to university in Germany?

1. Find a course which is taught in English

Two essential websites will help you. First of all, the German Academic Exchange Service (DADD) has a database of courses, including admissions requirements and the IELTS or TOEFL scores you need to prove your English proficiency. Certain courses, such as art, music, design and sport have separate admissions processes, and these will be highlighted here.

Once you have decided which courses you wish to apply for, you can either write to the international department of the university, or apply through, a centralised system which, however, does NOT cover every university.

If you submit an application through uni-assist, you will pay a small fee of 75 euros for your first choice, and 30 euros for each subsequent choice .Of course, there is no limit to the number of universities you can contact directly.

What documents do  universities in Germany ask for?

Each German university has different demands, but you will usually be asked to produce some or all of the following documents:

  • a copy of your high school diploma/certificate
  • officially certified copes and translations of your grades
  • a copy of your passport – the main page with your personal details
  • proof of language proficiency
  • CV
  • cover letter
  • one or more passport photographs.

When do I apply?

There are two admissions deadlines to German universities:

You must submit your application by 15 July if you want to start your course in the winter term (September/October)

You must submit your application by 15 January, if you want to start in the summer term (April).

Do I need a student visa or to register with the authorities?

EU students do not need a visa to attend university in Germany, but you will have to register  at the Residents’ Registration Office once you have found accommodation and have an address.  You should try to register within a week or two of arriving.

The majority of German universities do not offer campus accommodation. You will need proof of address (a landlord’s letter is enough to confirm your accommodation), as well as  proof of enrolment on a course and that you have taken out comprehensive health insurance – see below for further details.

Once you have  accepted a place on your course, you will also  need to enrol at the university Office of Student Affairs, in order to use the library, register your course, use an online account and sit examinations. 

When you have paid the semester fee, you will get your student’s ID card, which is useful for  claiming discounts and opening bank accounts etc. Remember, you have to re-register and pay the semester fee every term, so that your ID remains activated

You should provide the following documents to enrol:

  • passport
  • photographs
  • the university admission letter
  • proof of comprehensive health insurance 
  • confirmation of English language proficiency

Do EU students need to buy private health insurance to study in Germany?

If your country has a reciprocal health agreement with Germany, then the answer is NO. All you need is to show your EHIC card, which entitles you to free health care.

How much will it cost to live in Germany?

This depends on whether you choose to study in a small town or a large city. Accommodation will be your greatest expense and renting  is far cheaper outside major cities.  Average living expenses – which cover food, clothes, books, outings, travel etc – are around 900 euros a month.

Can EU students claim loans and financial aid when studying in Germany?

Loans and grants are normally based on parental income and permanent residency. Please contact Elab for further, up to date, information.

where to study in Germany
Germany offers a wide selection of free courses for EU students
× Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday