University of California, Santa Barbara is where the land meets the sea, where brilliant minds meet each other, and where academic excellence and social engagement unite to spark creativity and discovery.
Study in California at UCSB! Over the years, songs like “California Girls” “California Love” – and hundreds of others – have all proclaimed to the world that California is the home of glorious sunshine, surfing, healthy food and the West Coast lifestyle.
Unlike harassed New Yorkers, pushing their way onto the crowded subway at rush hour, Californians freewheel on their skateboards to the nearest Whole Foods store, to pick up crushed avocado wraps, before doing an hour’s yoga on the beach and catching some rays – or so they would have us believe.
What this essentially semi-accurate image overlooks is the fact that this Pacific state is also home to the world’s leading tech companies, such as Apple and Google, and is a springboard for innovation , as well as being the world’s fifth largest economy. Agriculture, aerospace, the film industry and electronic products are the bedrock of the state’s economy – which continues to grow and expand.
California is an extraordinary state and offers students excellent, high quality public universities, ten of which are combined into the UC . Today, we are looking at UC Santa Barbara, whose alumni include Gwyneth Paltrow, Michael Douglas and the Doors’ Robby Krieger , as well as six Nobel prizewinners.
Why study in California at Santa Barbara?
- The facilities: Santa Barbara is a large campus, with 24,000 undergraduates and 3,000 postgraduate students. As a result, it does everything on a large scale. The university has ten national research centres, over three million printed books, vast archives of digital information, maps and images, eight halls of residence, health clinics , its own newspapers and radio station etc. In addition, Santa Barbara runs an annual free music festival, called Extravaganza, which attracts top artists such as Drake and Snoop Dogg .
- Sport: Santa Barbara’s Gauchos basketball team plays in the Big West Conference, and the university intercollegiate athletics programme offers ten sports for men, covering cross-country, water polo, soccer, baseball, track and field, golf , volleyball, basketball, swimming and tennis. The women’s programme includes: tennis, volleyball, swimming, track and field, cross-county, softball, basketball , water polo and soccer. The intercollegiate athletics programme encourages students to compete against other universities in Division 1 of the NCAA.
Outside of competition, students can enjoy alpine racing, rowing, sailing, fencing, rugby and water-skiing, so you are bound to find a sport that appeals to you and the facilities to train.
If surfing is your passion, the Santa Barbara campus is built on cliffs overlooking the Pacific and you have access to some of the best beaches in California.
- Outstanding Academic Reputation : Santa Barbara is a highly globally-rated university, and the 7th best public university in the US. Teaching is done through a mixture of lectures, seminars and tutorials and undergraduates can choose from 90 majors and 40 minors when deciding on one of the 87 degree programmes. Santa Barbara scores very highly in the QS subject rankings: particularly in physics (20th), space science (19th), chemistry (37th) and environmental studies and ecology (14th). Gaining a degree from Santa Barbara will definitely enhance your CV and make you attractive to future employers.
- Location: The Santa Barbara campus covers 708 acres , and has its own beach and lagoon, as well as a nature reserve and sweeping sand dunes. Most students (53 per cent)bicycle around campus, so bikes have right of way and their own dedicated cycling lanes. It is a stunning campus and somewhere you will be happy to spend your undergraduate years.
How difficult is it to get a place?
Santa Barbara accepts 32.8 per cent of applicants and their average SAT score is 1355 (out of a possible 1600) or an ACT score of 72+. The number of international students is approximately 12 per cent.
What is application process?
Santa Barbara has three deadlines for submitting applications:
- 1-30 November
- 1-31 July
- 1-31 October
In order to be considered for a place, you will normally be asked to send:
- A copy (translated ) of your academic record, which includes dates, the courses you have taken, the grades you gained and the number of hours you studied each subject.
- Proof of language proficiency: TOEFL score of 6.5 upwards, to be received by January in the year you wish to start your course.
- Your entrance exam results. You can choose between sitting the ACT and a writing test or the SAT and an essay.
- Your passport and F1 student visa.
- Certificate of completion of your secondary education.
Remember: if you are offered a place, you will not be able to register at the university without showing that you have comprehensive health insurance, which covers both repatriation and medical evacuation. Healthcare is very expensive in the USA, so try and spend some time researching insurance options and making sure that you are covered for any pre-existing conditions.
How much will it cost to study for a bachelor’s degree at Santa Barbara?
Costs change and, if you want up to date information, please call Elab. It has been estimated that the cost of studying at Santa Barbara comes in at around $66,000 per year. This figure is all-inclusive, and covers your tuition, accommodation, food and living expenses.
This world-renowned university on the Pacific coastline provides its students with everything they could possible wish for: outstanding teaching, amazing resources and the best that California has to offer. Why not apply to Santa Barbara and indulge in some California Dreaming?
Elab’s experienced consultants will be happy to help, so get in touch!