january intake
United Kingdom

January Intake

January Intake 2021 - don't miss out!

Why is the January Intake so important this year?

As everyone knows, the UK is in a transition phase and has formally left the EU. This interim period carries on before January 1st 2021, and signals the beginning of many changes in every area – including education.  From 1 August 2021, EU students will no longer be granted home fee status and pay the same tuition fees as domestic students. Instead, they will now be classified as international students and tuition fees will go up as a result. Some experts believe that fees could be three or four times higher, both for undergraduates and postgraduates, and this would make an enormous difference to the cost of studying in the UK.

Secondly, although it is not yet clear how much tuition fees will rise , there is another change to take into consideration – from 1 August  2021,EU students will no longer be eligible for student loans to cover their tuition fees, or for maintenance grants. This has now been confirmed by the UK government, so if you need or want to get financial help for your university studies, you should apply to the January intake. Students who begin their courses in January 2021 are still classified as studying in the academic year 2020-2021 – and are therefore able to apply for loans. These loans cover your entire study period – as before – and are repaid according to the old system, namely, you start paying back your educational loan once your annual salary has risen above £25,000 a year.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

At the time of writing, every student who wishes to come to the UK after 1 January 2021, will need to get a student visa. The process is simple, and can be done on your smartphone, as long as you can upload a biometric passport to confirm your identity – a national identity card will not be accepted.

To get the visa you will need:

  • Copy of passport and Unconditional offer from university
  • Demonstrate knowledge of English language
  • Show that you can support yourself financially
  • Pay application fee (348£) and the Immigration Health Surcharge (470£)

January Intake

UK January Intake: check what has changed!

What kind of visa do I apply for?

You must apply for a Tier 4 student visa.

Can I work if I have a student visa?


You will be able to work for up to 10 hours a week, during university term-time, and take a full-time job during the holidays.

NB: You MUST get your visa before you arrive in the UK.

Is every course available for the January intake?


Nevertheless, British universities offer around 6,000 courses in the January intake, at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

However, not every course is open to applicants, since not every university participates in this second round of recruitment, and courses which were not heavily subscribed or popular may well have been removed. You will still find a huge range of choices, from art to accounting, criminology to business management, engineering, architecture, digital technologies etc.

How do I apply for January intake?

Contact Elab, either by phone or email, and we will help you organise and submit your application.

Remember, time is of the essence, because this is your last opportunity to receive a student loan and cover your tuition fees. You can make it if you start the process straight away!

Get in touch with us, here at Elab and let us work together to apply for a course in the January intake.

Also, check our social media channels: Facebook and Instagram!